Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

1920s Portable Phonograph - Model 509

I'm looking for more information about PAL portable phonographs. Do you have any information to share?

Photobucket

I found this one for $55 at The Tin Lantern Anqitue Shop in Cuba City IL. PAL, made by Plaza Manufacturing, New York. Here is a detail photo---ahhhhhh, I didn't realize it is so dusty until after I photographed it this morning. I'll get out the soft brush, vacuum, and Q-tips and go over it.

Photobucket

The onyx lamp caught my eye at the checkout counter, and the shop owner made me a good deal on the things I purchased. Now, this is the type of shop I'd drive 3 hours to re-visit. (Smiling).

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Mrs D
    I am writing an article on summer kitchens. Do you have any pics of yours before restoration?
    ben burd
    ben@eagle.casw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ben:

    We haven't restored the summer kitchen yet. It is still the original tongue and groove beadboard ceiling and walls.

    Do you want to write an article about our summer kitchen? Sounds like fun to me.

    I don't know when the beadboard was painted last. The previous owners (Quien family) owned the house from Dec 1917 until we purchased it in Apr 2007. The house was vacant since the 1970s.

    The carpeting on the summer kitchen floor looks like it is pieced together and tacked down from a larger rug, and it resembles another large area room rug that was in the living room (circa 1917). We kept and stored that living room rug.

    The doorway and window trim in the summer kitchen is the same spoon carved flower design matching the rest of the woodwork in the house.

    The Quien grandchildren have photos of the house interior. I'm waiting several years for photos they've promised. There are always meaningful clues in old photographs.

    Mrs. D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love old phonographs! And I love the sound of an old scratchy (but not too scratchy!) record playing. It brings me back to another time. Your phonograph looks great sitting on your table. Is that where you're going to keep it?

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete