Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Re-Purposing Vintage Chairs for the Studio

Photobucket

This is my first upholstery project. I want to show you the "after" photo first.

When I saw this chair at a garage sale, I immediately thought of some fabric I had stashed away at home. There were 2 identical chairs--I got them both for $5.00 each.

I still have to tack down the fabric on the back of the chairs, but I'm almost done! I'm going to put these two chairs in the east dormer of the art studio.

Below are deconstruction photos of those two chairs. I gotta tell you, they were really stinky-dirty. I asked Jon to help me deconstruct. I coughed and coughed during the process and finally went in the house to get a proper face mask to finish the job.

I decided to photograph the deconstruction process, so I could remember how to put it back together again.

I replaced all the old foam with new soy based foam. I wanted to start out with my own DNA if you know what I mean.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Below: I found these 5 vintage chairs at an antiques/vintage store called "Reflections" in Nelsonville WI. Aren't they cool?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Originally the antiques/vintage shop acquired 16 chairs, I got the last 5. The other 11 went to an art gallery for seating. I paid $25 for each chair, but I love the look and actually they are quite comfortable and sturdy.

The only upgrade was to wash them, and put new black rubber boots on each leg (to protect the floor). They'll make some nice student seating in the art studio.

But wait--I'm not finished. Below are 4 more stinky chairs I found at a garage sale, 4/for $15.00. I deconstructed them, pulled out a zillion staples.

Made a pattern from the old stinky upholstery(yuck)and sewed the two-piece construction for both seat and backrest. I put new soy based foam in those chairs also. The NEW fabric is a very cleanable, poly-suede in charcoal.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Final thought: I calculated the cost of the 11 chairs, new fabric, and environment friendly foam--was $220. So, the chairs cost me about $20 each. I could have purchased 11 new folding chairs at Sam's Club . . . for the same price, and no labor.

I told DH Jon, "well, at least the chairs aren't at the landfill." He grinned and said, "so--what did you do with the old foam and dirty covers? I just smiled and left the room!

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the chairs. I think you'll appreciate them much more than the folding chairs from Sams Club. So will whoever sits on them. You have so many abilities. This old house must really appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the $20 new chairs would not have looked as good, had your touch and wouldn't last half as long as yours will and recycling is good for the environment!

    ReplyDelete