Friday, July 31, 2015

PINK is the word for

My Repainted Pink 'n Black
1950s, Model 902 Penneys Sewing Machine

It started out as a light grayish brown body with dark gray dial plates . . .

Ooops I did it again, crossed the line into madness . . . and forgot to take a BEFORE photo! 

But I did take photos of the tricker machine parts I removed, labeled, bagged and set aside.  Those photo are still on my camera, and I referred to them yesterday as it took me most of the day to re-assemble all the springy things, and dials.  

Let me show you some pictures taken during sanding, taping, and repainting

Jon was frustrated watching me spray paint, so he volunteered to show me "how it really needs to be done"  I admit, he did a great job.  He is sitting in the background of this photo--taking a break to admire his work.

We let the machine sit in the summer kitchen for the week, and then Jon took it outside and sprayed a second coat of pink.  Then I let it set for several days again in the summer kitchen.

I removed the blue masking tape and plastic off of the front end (door) to paint it glossy black and bagged the rest of the machine to protect the pink.  We let the machine dry a couple of days in the summer kitchen.

One more step--I did some light sanding with 800 grit, cleaned it thoroughly, and sprayed two clear coats with all the important mechanics still covered (taped and stuffed with leftover cotton batting pieces). 

Sitting in the summer kitchen

Yep - it was getting exciting, peeling off the tape.

I was so glad I took dis-assembling photos that were still on my camera.  Good reference to put parts back where they needed to be . . . a slower process than taking it apart, for sure.

Fitted with a hand crank

For the moment, I've removed the solid wheel and replaced it with a 9 spoke balance wheel and hand crank.  I just love hand cranks.  When I get a moment I'll get the electric motor housing repainted pink.  Then, if I sell this one--it can be powered by electric or people powered.  

My group of friends--we call ourselves "The Kranky People"--we all own original hand crank machines, and we get together about twice a month to work on restoring other vintage and antique machines.   We learn, we laugh, we snack.  Relaxing and lots of fun.  

I think I have some photos on my camera of the Kranky People working on their machines  I'll find those photos and update this post.  

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that bling . . .

For sometime now, I've been making hand made polymer clay beads, and pairing them with metal and glass store bought beads, to make strings of bling for purses and eye glass cases.

Here's how I made my own quilted fabric:

I loaded a yard each of the black fabric with lime green peace symbols, and printed cotton backing fabric (turquoise and lime green), and two layers of 100% cotton batting on the long arm quilt frame--just as I do when I'm free style quilting queen size quilts.

Free Style Quilting - Feather Bouquet

Forming the "S" stem, and filling with feathers

Feather Bouquet in Progress

The small zippered purses I made from the quilted fabrics are 8.5 inches wide by 7 inches deep--just the right size for a phone. 

It's so much more fun to zip zip zip with a handful of bling beads.

Shown here are beads I made: shaped like an olive, a square, and a tube.  The metal beads, one glass bead, and one yellow wooden bead adds interest.

Second purse - same quilted fabric, different bead bling.

Detail of glass beads, metal beads, and 2 handmade polymer clay beads in lime green shown at the top.

The eye glass cases are fun to make.  The bling of beads has only one function--decoration.  

Notice there is an enameled snap head just right of center that is an easy closure to keep the eye glass case closed and secure.  

There is a swivel clasp on a fabric loop at the top of the eye glass case--so you can wear it attached to your neckline, or clipped to your jeans belt loop.  It is also, just the right size to carry a cell phone and mad money.  
P.S. - the white string you see in these photos is the price tag (I didn't hide it very well, did I?)


Lower third of the photo above, there is a caramel striped tube bead I made from polymer clay.

It is an easy technique to make tube beads:
1. Condition several colors of clay and stick them together.  
2. Roll into a fat tube shape and twist them several times. 
3. Run the clay through the pasta machine to make a uniform thickness (1/8").  
4. Cut a long rectangle with clay knife; wrap rectangle lengthwise on a metal knitting needle.  
5. Pat with fingers to close the wrap forming a tube around the knitting needle.
6. Bake 265 degrees F for 30 minutes.  
7. Cool for a few minutes.
8. Slide warm polymer clay tube off of the knitting needle.
9. Slice into small tubes sections.  (As if you were cutting a straw into small pieces).

Thanks for stopping by!